Underutilized Fleet: A Common Government Issue
Spending millions of dollars each year maintaining and replacing its fleet of 2,500+ vehicles, the City of Tampa found itself in the heart of an unpleasant city audit. What did the audit find?
- 27% of the of its motor vehicles were underutilized
- 160 trucks and cars made the list
- Nearly 100 vehicles didn’t move at all in the past 12 months
“Seems like a colossal waste of money. Our taxes should be used for better things than cars that just sit somewhere and don’t get any miles on them.” – Joe Redner, local business owner.
How did the city respond? They did the following:
- 15 vehicles were transferred to other departments
- 104 cars and trucks were sold at auction
- 33 are still being assessed by the city
Under-utilization of a fleet can be expensive to an organization. By minimizing pool and surplus vehicles, you could save a significant amount of money with a flexible fleet rental program.
Discover how Flex Fleet Rental can help you save on your fleet by calling the number at the top of the page, or by completing the “Quick Quote” form. A regional sales manager will discuss the many benefits of leasing a fleet, whether it’s 1 or 100.